NOTE: The following post will be updated as I get new input and information…
If you have a pulse, you know that recently The Guardian published a shocking expose on the NSA here in our country.
You can catch up here (opens in a new window) when you have time if you don’t know what’s up.
The IRS was recently involved in a “scandal” of sorts as well (I’ll let you Google that one, wait, use StartPage.com instead for privacy).
On and on, lie after lie is reported in the media (James Clapper anyone?), scandal after scandal, top secret document after… sigh, it’s just tiring to see our country, the country I love, falling to pieces like this.
And we haven’t even began to talk about our economic woes yet… sad isn’t it?
Well, for what it’s worth, I’m going to propose a solution… or at the very least a discussion starter in efforts to solve most if not all of these problems.
A solution which, if the Government is truly transparent and NOT hiding anything worth talking about (like Obama tries to play down every time Wikileaks or another media source reveals something)… a solution which the Government should actually be in favor of.
Heck, if you’re not doing anything wrong, what shame do you have telling everyone about it, right?
This is the digital age after all… and we all should have nothing to hide… right? (hint: we may not know what we do or do not have to hide in the first place, especially when left to the judgment of others)
So here is my rough, very rough, outline of a proposed solution (discussion starter) to our U.S. Government, so we can finally start the long process of putting this corruption and these questionable practices to bed:
- We (the Citizens) of The United States need to form an unbiased (to the Government, that is) panel of say, 150 people (more if necessary, maybe thousands?), to audit the activities of ALL branches of the Government fully and without question. This panel would NOT be part of the Government itself.
- These citizens cannot have any documented or undocumented influential connection with any branch of the Government, past or present. No money, no consulting positions, no citizens that work for companies that supply the Government, nothing. No corporate lobbyists either. I realize this might not work out as perfectly as described here.
- This also means that ALL activist groups could send one representative each to be a part of this panel. I would imagine we would want as diverse a panel of experts, non-experts, activists, etc… as possible to get the best results.
- All branches of Government, and ALL departments of Government in our United States would be thoroughly audited by this panel once every Presidential term, that is every 4 years, this panel is active on a rotating basis, with different people every rotation.
- Here is the BIG part… every citizen appointed to this panel would need temporary top secret clearance as necessary, so NO document or piece of information could be hidden from the audit. These citizens would be bound to their top secret responsibilities for the rest of their natural lives, however, if a violation is found, that piece of documentation or evidence would be disclosed. (need work on what constitutes a violation and what isn’t etc…)
- If anything is hidden from the audit, there will be consequences (serious and immediate) that I have not yet thought of fully (immediate terminations, immediate due process etc… including Senators and House Representatives, even yes, impeachment of the President possibly).
- If anything illegal, or even if legal, anything that is considered patently immoral or unethical (needs definition) is discovered during the course of this audit, a trial will immediately ensue (not 10 years down the road, immediately). Perhaps a court (public, not secret) system will have to be developed to implement due process for those people found guilty of corruption.
- A liveable salary would be paid to those people who participate, and no other compensation given. This means no outside monetary influence, no lobbyists, no corporate influence etc… and every member of the panel would be paid the same rate, for the same function… to audit. Again, this is not perfect.
- This salary would be paid by a non-profit organization created by the Citizens, and supported by donations (I’m hoping we would be willing to donate to this and keep it running). This organization’s whole purpose is to keep our U.S. Government in check, since our Constitution isn’t doing the job lately, and outside influences and money seem to be running our country.
- A set of standards need to be put in place, and a set of authorities given to every member of this panel so they can do their function. This might mean they could instantly set in motion a vote for a new Senator, Representative, etc… or it might mean they set the process in motion through our current system… or a combination of both.
- But this same set of standards would need a “check” of some sort to ensure this panel doesn’t have absolute power to abuse, of course. Any member of the panel found to be conducting illegal activities or found corrupt will be subject to prosecution under the law.
That’s my rough outline so far. I understand that the three branches of Government are supposed to hold each other in check with “checks and balances”… but that doesn’t seem to be working efficiently enough, and this system seems to be influenced in some less than ethical (and sometimes less than moral) ways.
Also, I do understand we have the media, and we have the Internet… but we’re missing the authority it seems, or if we have that authority, we aren’t using it (or don’t care?).
We need something… some sort of system, that holds our Government and all of its branches (FBI, FDA, all of the alphabet branches etc…) in check. It’s our country… and we need to take it back.
Basically, if the Government runs like and does what it’s supposed to, there’s nothing for it, or the politicians/employees in it, to worry about. If they don’t, well, that’s what this Citizen Audit Department is for (C.A.D., I just came up with an acronym, LOL). If you want to be a part of the United States Government, you will be held responsible for your actions, good or bad.
Also, the results of said audit would be published in an accessible public forum for all to see (by logging in with real names etc…). These results, good or bad, would be in a report form that anyone can download and share freely.
And more importantly, we need to remove the “red tape” with such a system, so we don’t get stuck in a committee or process for the rest of our lives.
I think a system like this might provide some jobs, for a good cause, and this way we could hold our Government truly transparent and accountable. It might only be a discussion starter as well, I don’t claim to know all the answers.
But I’m not quite finished yet…
We also need a better system that ends corporate corruption and provides immediate accountability for those that seem to escape the law (e.g. the financial people responsible for our current economic woes). This I have not thought through yet, because I am a fan of capitalism, but not the kind that harms or profits from (in a negative way, e.g. patent and copyright trolls) our country or its Citizens.
What do you think?