I get a TON of follower, “add me to your network,” and circle notification – type requests.
I do check out some of the profiles before saying “yes,” but don’t have time to inspect all of them.
I can’t imagine what folks like Mark Cuban, Reid Hoffman, Mark Zuckerberg, Evan Williams etc… get in terms of the volume of email, connection requests etc…
So, this is a lesson in connecting with somebody… anybody… star, business mogul, or average people like myself.
Don’t make me sorry I connected with you.
While there are different reasons for connecting with people, and I understand pretty much all of them… I can provide a few reasons people DON’T want to connect:
- To hear product pitches right out of the gate, before a relationship is developed.
- To join your “latest, greatest opportunity” (read: MLM or network marketing scheme)… before a relationship is developed.
- To join another network itself, before a relationship is developed. (Why make me join you on Facebook from Linkedin? Why not just build relationships there… or just focus on Facebook?)
- To buy your product or service, first thing, before a relationship is developed.
- In fact… to do __________ (anything), before a relationship is developed.
Do you see the common thread here?
Why on Earth would I care the slightest bit about your anything, if I don’t even know you? It’s a question worth pondering for sure.
The only thing I do when I see any of the above, first thing, before you genuinely connect with me, is throw out a big SIGH… and disconnect immediately.
If I want a product or service pitch I’ll go to your website (maybe), but when you’re connecting, or networking, on the social media sites… well… it tells me a lot about you if you come out “pitching.”