5 Time Management Tips For Home Business Owners
You want to market your business, but do you have the time? Here are five nuggets of time management wisdom I personally use in my direct response copywriting business. And here’s the kicker, I really only “work” no more than about four hours a day because of these strategies.
1) The foundation is your desk. How clean and organized is your desk? Do you live by a “use it, file it, or throw it away” mentality with every single item (paper, email, etc.) that comes across your desk? You either use information, file it (only if you have time-stamped when you are actually going to use it), or toss it.
2) Magazines, do you really read them? Or do you let them stack up, hoping to get to them “someday.” The secret: Use tables of contents to find articles you like right away, and rip them out. Then, read the article(s) now, or file the article in a folder for that magazine subject or title.
3) Do you listen to audio recordings? If so, try listening at double speed (2x). In 99% of the cases, you can still understand what is being said, it doubles your efficiency in getting information, and cuts your listening time in half.
4) How organized is your office? Is your chair in easy reach of filing cabinets, supplies, and other necessary items without getting up? Getting up and down for only a few seconds each time adds up very quickly; so this technique alone can save you an hour a day.
5) How do you process interruptions? Do you check email 20 times daily, or, at just three specific times of the day? Do you schedule phone calls, or do you pick up the phone and answer it every time Aunt Mabel calls? How you handle these “attention-grabbers” can seriously chew up time.
Remember: NOBODY AND NOTHING control your time except YOU!
So now that you’ve read this, don’t take it out on others when “you don’t have enough time.” 🙂